The name of the herb originates from the Greek word "oros", indicating mountain and "Ganos", which indicates joy. It generally grows about 50 cm high and has purple leaves about 2-3 cm long.
The chemicals that give the herb its enjoyable and unique fragrance are thymol, pinene, limonene, ocimene, carvacrol, and caryophyllene.
It includes anti-bacterial homes and effective antioxidants.
Realities about oregano:
Here are some important truths about oregano. More detail in the main short article.
Oregano is a Mediterranean herb that is used for cooking and medical purposes, varying from the treatment of infections to the repelling of pests.
- Active components in oregano can help in the treatment of diabetes, cancer, and osteoporosis.
- Use to provide taste to sauces, make spicy rolls, and in marinades for meat.
- Individuals with an allergy to mint should beware with taking in oregano.
- Health benefits of Oregano:
- Oregano has actually been used in herbal medication given that the ancient Greeks.
Hippocrates used it as an antiseptic.
Possible medicinal uses of oregano consist of the treatment of respiratory illness, gastrointestinal disorders (GI), menstrual discomfort and urinary system conditions.
Applied in your area it can help treat a variety of skin conditions such as acne and dandruff.
1) Anti-bacterial homes
Oregano oil includes a necessary compound, called carvacrol, which has antimicrobial properties
The herb has revealed antimicrobial activity in a variety of research studies. A group of researchers discovered that Origanum vulgare important oils were effective against 41 stress of the food pathogen Listeria monocytogenes.
Another group from India and the United Kingdom (UK) reported that the necessary oil of the Himalayan oregano has strong anti-bacterial residential or commercial properties that can protect against the hospital outstanding bacterium MRSA.
2) Anti-inflammatory residential or commercial properties.
Scientists from Germany and Switzerland identified an active ingredient in oregano, called beta-caryophyllene (E-BCP), which can assist deal with disorders such as osteoporosis and arteriosclerosis. E-BCP is a nutrition cannabinoid.
3) Protection against cancer:
Research released in the journal PLoS ONE in 2013 recommended that oregano exhibits activity versus cancer. The scientists concluded that Origanum majorana could help avoid and deal with breast cancer by preventing or postponing development.
In 2014, food scientists discovered that the popular cooking herbs consist of rosemary, oregano and marjoram compounds that may deal with the type 2 diabetes in a similar way to some presently recommended drugs.
Other possible health benefits:
According to The Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database, oregano can be used for the list below diseases and conditions:
- cold sore
- muscle strain
- a tooth pain
- bloated sensation
- a headache
- heart conditions
- allergic reactions
- intestinal parasites
- an earache
- an aching throat
- fend off pests
- menstrual pain
Oregano necessary oil, made from Origanum vulgare or Thymus capitatus, can help with the following problems:
Foot or nail fungus: A few drops in the water and let your feet enjoy it, or use it as diluted oil in your area on the affected location.
Sinus infections and colds: Use a few drops in a steam bath and inhale.
Note: Each essential oil should be diluted prior to use, either with a provider oil, such as olive oil, or in water, or for a steam bath.
More research is needed to confirm the efficiency of oregano as a treatment.
- Cooking Tips with Oregano:
- Oregano is a Mediterranean herb that fits well with pizzas and pasta sauces.
- Other concepts include:
- sprinkle meat or chicken with oregano for more taste
- to use in marinades
- slice and mix in bread dough to make sandwiches
- to contribute to a fresh salad
- Here are some pointers:
- Include it to the end of the cooking procedure for optimum flavor
- The smaller sized you cut or grind, the more taste will be released
- Start with a percentage, too much of the food can make it bitter
- A teaspoon of dried oregano represents a tablespoon of fresh oregano
It is offered dried or fresh in grocery stores, or you can grow it yourself in a pot on a window sill or a terrace or in the garden. It is seasonal, which suggests that it will continue to grow throughout the year.
- Likewise, discover some of the health advantages of Oregano Oil
- Negative effects and preventative measures
- Eating oregano can cause stomach problems in some people.
In addition, those adverse plants of the lip-flower family, including oregano, basil, mint, lavender, and sage, must take care because they may likewise establish an allergic reaction to oregano.